7.10.08

"Or-chian"

"Or-chian" is basically an egg omelette fried with sweet potato starch and topped with delicious oysters. It is my all-time favourite.

Back in Singapore, each time I stepped into a food-court, once I spotted the "or-chian" stall, it would be without a doubt, I would sure to order this dish. But it was so expensive to have it. For a $5 plate, I would be getting an ultra thin layer of omelette with lots of fried starch and probably just five small oysters.

Gina, my wonderful chef friend has provided once again, a fuss-free recipe for the dish. However, the difficult part was searching for the sweet potato flour in this American country. I searched three Asian grocers before I finally found something close to it. And with my frozen oysters, I fried up a storm. Hubby and I had a marvelous time eating them. The good thing about home-cooked "or-chian" is that you can add in more oysters. Do you know that oysters are an ideal food for inclusion in low-cholesterol diets. Making a healthier choice, use vegetable oil and topped it with plenty of coriander leaves, a bacteria-killing greens!


This is not the real sweet potato flour but the ingredients had it included


Presenting..."or chian". The right chilli sauce for dipping was missing but it really didn't matter anymore

2 comments:

Gina Choong said...

yoo hoo..the right chilli sauce can be modified from your bottle of Yeo's chilli sauce. Just add 1 tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar, 1 tsp of sugar and 1 tbsp water and give it a good stir..if you have time to make it from scratch, the recipe is at KC. love...Gina

BeLive said...

Yipee!!!!

I always have apple cider in the fridge!!!!

THANKS A HEAP!