3.10.08

All things small and yummy

I just have a sudden urge to want to eat dim sum. Wikipedia defines dim sum as a Chinese cuisine which involves a wide range of light dishes served alongside Chinese tea.

Of course, with the limited amount of ingredients available, it is impossible to have the full range. Instead I made just two types. The radish cake or 'lor-bak-ko' which has been Kai's favourite dim sum dish since he was a toddler.

I remember when he was just two years old, we were at NZ for holiday. We went into a dim-sum restaurant for lunch. By the time we were there, it was almost closing and they have ran out of the radish cake, Kai burst out crying and and the boss found him so cute, in that such a young child, would have such hunger for a simple dish. Guess what, the boss actually went into the kitchen and specially made some for him. Great service! Going that extra mile for his little customer.



This is a simple radish cake recipe shared by my culinary master, Gina

The other dish is 'mua chee'. This dish usually does not appear in the dim sum menu but it is a light snack enjoyed by many Singaporeans. Gina also has a great recipe for it. (Gina, what am I going to do without all your fabulous recipes :))


It's made of glutinous rice with grounded peanuts and sugar sprinkled on it. The nuts should be much finer than this but I don't have a food blender so using a rolling pin and my hands, I 'grinded' them. Great work-out!

1 comment:

petite fleur said...

It was looking at this entry that had me craving for lor bak goh. So I went & made some too.