10.9.08

Love and discipline

"...that love and discipline are not only compatible, but indeed, that each is an important component of the other...we learned from our parents that a God who loves us and who demands obedience because of that love is not only a Biblical truth but also an incredibly reasonable arrangement. Love and discipline go hand in hand..." ~ Janette Oke

To the kids, I am like the strict discipline master of a school. They know there is no messing around when it comes to obedience. Sometimes, I wonder if I should relax with them. But on the other hand, I also know that if I don't discipline them now, there is no another chance later. I always view parenthood in three stages.

Stage 1 : As kids, we set the rules and they have to follow
Stage 2 : As teenager, we are like flying a kite, sometimes we let go and when they are flying to the wrong direction, we pull back a little
Stage 3 : As a young adult, let go. Pray hard that whatever I have taught, they can be responsible for their own actions

It is also like a cycle. As infants, we are relax with them, as they grow older, we expect more discipline and as they reach adulthood, we relax again.

And yes, love and discipline must go hand in hand. And looking at Kai and Ann now, I think I am doing it right. Although, they know I am strict but they also know that I love them and that they love me.

I am a stay-at-home-mum, 24/7, 365 days. (Never ask a woman "do you work?" Yes! we do, all the time!) They see me everyday without fail, the moment they open their eyes to the time they close their eyes, they know I am always there. Yet, there is no sign of them getting tired of me (well, at least for now). On those rare occasions when I have my "ladies night" out, they never fail to ask for me. Just ten minutes after stepping out of the house, Kai will be asking, "when is mummy coming back?" As for Ann, every night, she never fails her "good nite mama, I love you mama." Sweet, isn't it?

I have a slogan for my kids, "when it's time to play, play very hard. When it's time to work, work very hard." Of course, as kids, they never fail to play the hardest!

No comments: