2.9.08

Dinner at Virginia's

No, we didn't travel to West Virgina to have dinner. It was a dinner invitation given by one of our church mate. Her name is Virginia. A 73 year old lady who does not look like her age. Her healthy lifestyle will put us, the younger ones, to shame.

She plays tennis daily, cooks often although she is the only one eating at home. Her husband passed away nine years ago and she has two daughters who do not live with her, so she lives alone, very much a western practice. She drives herself to Philly often to visit her daughter. That's a one and half hour drive from here. On top of that, she travels extensively.

Visiting her makes me feel that the Asian practice of looking after the elderly, living nearby to our parents are virtues that should not be allowed to die off. Visiting her also reminds me of my mother who is also 73 but leads a very active lifestyle and my mother-in-law, who is 74 and is still working.

It's my wish that I will also grow old gracefully and be like one of these ladies that have come into my life. Really, the greatest investment that I can give to my two children is to have a healthy and active lifestyle so that I will not be a burden to them.


Healthy dinner - corn, baked onions, chicken, potatoes and zucchini. Dessert was baked pear tart. And yes, she cooked all these by herself.

No comments: