5.9.08

Food and fruit

I love food. I love experimenting with them, I love eating them and I thank God that my soulmate is also a food adventurer. Other than prawns which he is allergic to, he is game for everything. I have friends who love to bring me along for their makan (eating) sessions because their hubbies are not as adverturous as them.
Ann has picked up this 'foodie adventure', as for Kai, he is slowly coming along, though not as fast as his sister but he has indeed made progress. Now, he loves squid, prawns, salmon and that's a great improvement from someone who only eats meat!

I stressed alot on eating together as a family at the table. The dinning table is where the family gathers and thoughts, feelings, jokes, stories...are shared. Here, in the US, we could all sit and eat together for dinner every evening. Back in Singapore, we could only do it every weekend because of our different schedules. Kai didn't get home till 7pm daily, by then, Ann would have taken her dinner already. Inspite of the different meal times, the kids know that when the family is together at home, it means, eating together at the dinning table. This practice, I have no intention to change and I pray that the kids will carry on with them when they have their own families.

I am so thankful that this trip to the US has given me many, and I really mean, many opportunties to try out new recipes, new kind of food and taste some of the freshest and juiciest fruits.


Shanghai wok-cooked pork ribs. This, I learned from a cookbook. Being away from home, staying in a western country, to be able to cook and eat Asian, somehow, brings a warm comfort to the heart. And yes, they have very fresh pork here.


I didn't bake this. This is call a shoofly pie. I have seen this many times and I am always curious about how this pie will taste like and it has such a cute name, 'shoofly'. I decided to try and bought one from an Amish farm market. It's homebaked and yes, it taste really, really good...and it has an interesting story.


Fat, juicy and really sweet watermelon and yes, from the farmers' market. See how hubby cut them up so nicely.

So friends, life is more than just 3-minutes noodles and microwave food. Make time and cook a meal. Sometimes, the results are good, sometimes, they are bad. I have burnt many food and many times, set off the fire alarm here. I have known some great chefs who once, could only cook rice from a rice-cooker. All it takes, is just the willingness to learn and to try and of course, taking the first step.

Take time out and make a good meal with your loved ones. Like what Chick-fil-A founder said, "food is essential to life, so make it good."!

2 comments:

petite fleur said...

I'm with you about eating together as a family. As a child, my father had insisted on it & now I hope to instill this on mine too.

The shanghai ribs look really good. Care to share the recipe.

BeLive said...

Yes, eating together as a family is really something that should be done everyday. Very sad, these days, such occasion is rare.

Yeap, here is the recipe. Can be found also in M4M ;)

Ingredients
------------
Pork ribs (don't use spare ribs)
500ml water

Seasoning
-----------
1 tsp dark soya sauce
2 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tbsp sugar

Method
--------
1) Season and marinate ribs overnight
2) Bring water to boil in a wok, add in ribs, cook at medium heat until water almost dry up
3) Lower heat until water almost like gravy (see pix, that's from the 500ml of water). Meat is ready
Check on the water level periodically. If water dries before meat is cooked, just add as needed.