11.9.08

Half a year...

Today is Sept 11. The news this morning was sombre as Americans remembered 9/11, an event which changed the world.

Half a year has rocketed by since coming to the US. My feelings are mixed. On one hand, I am reluctant to leave this beautiful big country where there's so much to see, so much to experience and so much to enjoy. On the other hand, I am also looking forward to going back to the place, I call home, where families are and friends whom I have known for decades, who accept me for who I am and what I am, live. No matter how nice this place is, it is not home. This is only a journey and a journey has a beginning and an end. When one journey ends, another begins.

Half a year is not a short time, neither is it a long one too. In this half a year, so much have changed. I have changed...my perspectives, my feelings they have all changed. News from back home also saw a lot of changes.

I love the simple lifestyle, I love the farm fresh food and fruits. I love going to farms to do my marketing, I love talking to the locals to learn a thing or two. Oh yes, I love going to the church on the hilltop and the kids love running down from the hill. Weekends are spent travelling on the road to destinations that are beyond our expectations. The kids adore the open space, the time spent cycling in the neighbourhood (Kai has already requested to bring home his bike). All these, we will surely miss.

I can only pray and hope that when we return, we will not spend our weekends at shopping malls and the cinemas. In land-scarce Singapore, it will be difficult to find an open space for the kids to soak in nature but somehow, we have to make an effort to allow them to have fun in nature, which they so love.

Looking back at my blog, there were indeed many changes from then till now but there was one thing which stood firm and that was the word of God given to us on the day of our departure

The passage fo us this morning was from Psalms 27. It assured us of God's guidance and unfailing protection upon our lives. This one verse stood out, it was almost jumping out from the Bible... "I am confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living." (vs 13)

Yes, we saw and is still seeing the goodness of the Lord in this land of the living.


Worth sharing...

Since coming to US, I have learned to appreciate small tiny creatures. This I learned from Kai and Ann. Especially, Kai. He just has an eye for small tiny creatures. They fascinate him tremendously. I must also say that hubby's knowledge in nature, animals both big and small, creepy crawlies, plants and flowers...has passed on to Kai.

Today, my sister emailed something really beautiful about a tiny little creature. I hope you will enjoy it as much as we all did.

Butterfly with transparent wings. Absolutely gorgeous!

It comes from Central America and is found from Mexico to Panama. It is quite common in its zone, but it's not easy to find because of its transparent wings, which is a natural camouflage mechanism. A butterfly with transparent wings is rare and beautiful. As delicate as finely blown glass, the presence of this rare tropical gem is used by rain forest ecologists as an indication of high habitat quality and its demise alerts them of ecological change. Rivaling the refined beauty of a stained glass window, the translucent wings of the Glass wing butterfly shimmer in the sunlight like polished panes of turquoise, orange, green, and red.
All things beautiful do not have to be full of colours to be noticed: in life that which is unnoticed has the most power

No comments: