5.8.08

Sometimes, loving means risking

Remember I shared about the book I am currently reading, yes, I am still reading it, "What my parents did right." I wanted to share with you only after I have finished it but I felt by then, there will be too much to write about. So, I decided to share with you as I move along.

How true. When we love, we have to risk.

Each time, when we allow our kids to go on field trips, are we not taking a risk? Can 2 to 3 teachers with 4 to 6 pairs of eyes really look after 20 over children? Anything can happen to them.

I remembered when Kai was only 3 years old, he went on his first field trip with all his classmates and teachers. I was worried sick for the whole day and I was a nervous wreck. But not allowing him to go, I would have deprived him of his childhood fun. Don't we all looked forward to field trips when we were little kids. So, for that whole day, I was worrying and worrying. When he finally retured, he talked non-stop about all the fun he had, not realising that his dear mummy almost went nuts!

It is common for us parents to want to protect our kids from the evil of men, from the harshness of life. But by doing that, we are not giving our children the opportunties of gaining independence, responsibilities and discipline. These qualities will turn them into Davids who will be able to fight all the Goliaths in their lives.

Looking back, I am really glad I had released my grip on Kai at an early stage. On the first day of his primary ,1 which is a big change for a kid, to shift from a kindergarten environment to a primary school, which is a huge community, he just breezed through it. He had no problem finding his way around, he had no problem making friends and he has no problem buying food all by himself. Even when we moved to USA, he made friends on the first day of school. He settled in so very well.

How often they must have wanted to take that cross off my shoulders. But to do so would have robbed me of the lessons I was to learn from my struggles and the maturity these were to bring. In saving me temporarily, my parents would have forever impoverished me.

Parental love must aim to guide and instruct, yet it must never suffocate or impede the necessary stretching process which builds character and spiritual depth.Parental love must value maturity more than security, and it needs to know when to relax one's grasp. This letting go process brings anxiety because our human love yearns to protect and hold our loved ones close. But such security is not ours to give.

The Christian life is full of many balances and tensions. But the call to let Jesus Christ have His way in the hearts and lives of our children must stand about our hopes for our offspring's comfort and security. Life is a holy training ground where many hurdles and tumbles are disguised blessings if only we will let it be...As earthly parents, we are called to a vital recognition that, ultimately, it is God who does the deepest and most profiund parenting of all.
~ James Evans

So what do we earthly parents do? Nothing? "Bo-chap?" No, we pray. Make it your daily practice to pray and commit your children to the loving hands of God, to cover them with His blood and surround them with his legions of angels. This is call "The power of a praying parent."

No comments: