26.8.08

Farm fresh food

One thing which I really enjoy doing here in US is the ability to buy farm fresh food. It is a new experience altogether - to walk into a farm to buy fresh fruits, vegetables and meat. Yes, they are all bred, grown and harvested from the farm and immediately put out for sale.

For anyone who enjoys cooking and eating, this kind of marketing is pure enjoyment. You have to experience it to enjoy it. The taste of farm fresh food is very different from food bought from supermarket.

Back at home, I pay high prices to buy overseas food which do not taste as good. Example, strawberries and cherries are very expensive in Singapore but they are rarely sweet.


I have never seen so many types of chillies in my life, let alone, taste them. When I finally saw them in the farm, I bought a little of everything to try.
Life is about experimenting with new things that includes eating!


I simply saute them with onions. Gosh, they taste so good. The sweet taste of sauteed onions blend so well with the spiciness of the chillies.
The taste is just nice. Saute basically means to cook food quickly with a little oil in a frying pan.


Fresh plums and giant-sized peaches. Fat and juicy corn. Where we are staying is known as the corn belt. We get really good corn. Yellow ones, bi-colour ones....we have them all.

2 comments:

petite fleur said...

I totally agree with you there. We're also lucky we get our produce fresh from my FIL's garden. Nothing beats fresh.

BeLive said...

Yes, going to miss all these when we eventually get home :(

Yes, I remember seeing your FIL's strawberries and you are so lucky to have wild blackberries to pick!