22.7.08

"Chai-tow-kueh" - Asian version of the carrot cake

Although it is known as carrot cake, there are no carrots in it. Instead, it has lots of radish. But I guess it got its name 'carrot cake' because in Chinese, radish is known as the white carrot.

Another of my favourite dish. In Singapore, it is eaten for breakfast or some, even for supper. I must say that it is the most unhealthy food to eat just before bedtime but then, no harm in enjoying it, once a while. There are two versions to it, one fried without the sweet black sauce and one fried with the sauce. I personally prefer the black ones.

Back in 1996, where my mother-in-law stayed, there was an old man who would push his cart and parked himself at the carpark to sell his carrot cake. He came silently, without sounding any horn or bell...and he only came at night. But somehow, his 'fans' were able to sense his arrival. People who lived in the area would bring down their plates, bowls, eggs and pay him S$1.50 or S$2.00 to enjoy his delicious carrot cake. Of course, I was one of them. In less than 5 mins, he would have fried a plate of heavenly carrot cake with a generous helping of black sweet sauce, topped with lots of chillies and 'chai-po' (preserved radish). As I am writing this, I am salivating...

No, I have not reach that standard and I think I never will. Some best kept secrets are found in long lost recipes.


Thanks to my cyber cooking master, I am able to whip out my very own chai-tow-kueh. Still cannot find the sweet black sauce here but according to my master, I can create my own - my next mission!

2 comments:

Charmaine said...

I love chai tow kueh too! My Mum makes them here in Sydney, Aust. There is a website http://www.mytasteofasia.com/ where you can buy many asian products. It was recommended by one of the Msian bloggers living in Colorado. Check it out!

BeLive said...

Hi charming,

I'm sure your mum makes great chai tow kueh. I always think mums are the greatest chefs ;)