4.6.08

My passion rekindled

One preacher once said "stay with the turkeys, hop around like the turkeys, stay with the eagles, soar like the eagles. We are all given the choice to choose the people whom we want to hang out with, grow with, excel with. And I thank God that I have met many, many cyber friends who have helped me grow.

I have always had a deep interest in cooking, baking...anything to do with food. Thanks to my Singapore Chinese Girls' School (SCGS) Home Economics teacher (if you happen to chance upon my blog, THANK YOU, Mrs Lee). Cooking and hosting parties, dinners are my favourites. But as I started working, got married, have kids...time was no longer easily available.

Everything in life happened for a reason. God's ways are always higher than ours.

It was not until in 2005 when hubby was retrenched, I was forced to pick up my baking skills again. Being a single-income family, 'retrenchment' is such a horrifying word. To help with the income, I started selling my quiches and it was then, I got to know a lady, Gina who runs a cooking forum, cooking school and cooking shop - Kitchen Capers . Believe it or not, I have never met her in person. She is a cyber friend and one who is very willing to impart her knowledge. Most chefs would regard their recipes as the untouchables. But through Gina, my passion for cooking was rekindled....well the rest, as they always say, it's history.

Gina's passion for cooking is very strong. Really, if you have no passion, you really cannot perform your job well. She takes great pride in all the recipes she has created and she generously shares them. "Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17


This tasted exactly like the famous Singapore chilli crab, the only difference, I made use of big clams instead. This recipe was shared by Gina. She knew I would miss our local dish and came up with her own recipe, using ingredients I could easily find in US.

Look at the prices of these items which we often take for granted!


Yeo's chilli sauce USD2.99


Belachan USD1.75

Oh well...live and let's live...eat and let's eat! With belachan and ladies fingers, what do you get?


Belachan ladies fingers, of course

No comments: