27.6.08

A lesson learned from Kai

Summer vacation is a L-O-N-G vacation. From mid-June all the way to Sept. It's almost 3 months. Back home, the longest school vacation would be just 6 weeks.

I help Kai to set out things which he can try to accomplish during this long vacation. We decided on 2 things. (1) to help him compile all his writings into a book, (2) he will learn how to cycle all on his own, without any help.

We started on learning how to cycle every evening when the sun is not too hot. Amazingly, he mastered it within 2 evenings...and without my interference.

As a mom, it's normal for me to worry about him falling down, getting himself hurt. I was holding on to his seat from behind, making sure that he would not fall. But the more I held on, the more he couldn't cycle. My intention was good but it didn't help. He kept on telling me to let go, he could manage. He tried very hard, he was all sweaty and tired...

Finally, I released and off he went, cycling away like a pro. He was so happy and I could sense his relief. He has accomplished what he has set out to do!

I have learned and been reminded once again that if I want my kids to reach their fullest potential, I have to let go. The more I grabbed, the lesser I get. As they grow up each day, I will have to let go even more. Soon, I will have to completely let go and allow them to take full responsibility of their lives but still knowing that mom will always be there.


Kai means victory...and that, he has received. Proud of his accomplishment!

Many times, in life, we are like that. We cannot trust God fully to lead our lives. We keep on hanging tightly, worried and fearful that if we let go, we will fall. But in reality, if we cannot let go, God cannot show us our full potential to live our lives to the fullest. The whole idea is to TRUST! Great men in the Bible proved to us again and again that if only we trust Him, He will show us great and mighty things.


Leading by example. That's Ann on her little tricycle, following her brother. Soon, she will cycle just as well as her brother.


No comments: