11.6.08

Neighbor & Neighbour

Kai came home from school.

"Mummy, teacher said I must spell neighbour without the u because this is how it should be spelt in America."

I guessed I could ask him to do 'code switching' which I learned in my English class during my university days. That was to use the American spelling in school and switched to Singapore English at home!

Poor boy, since coming to US, Kai has to do 2 sets of school work. He has to switch between US school, that's his Alburtis Elementary School and the Singapore school, that's mummy's school. He has felt frustrated at times but I must say I admire his stride in getting through it. If we are staying here for good, I would have given him the complete freedom to enjoy himself. I fully support the idea of "giving the child his childhood". But because we will ultimately return home, the last thing any parent would want, is to have her child being pressured to catch up in his work.

I have to constantly remind Kai that he is very different from the other kids. While the other kids could play after school, he has to do his other set of work. He has accepted this fact and made remarks like "it's worth it." For this, he gets 1 hour of outdoor play almost everyday with the kids in the neighbourhood! And yes, he fully appreciates it and will always be home in 1 hour's time. I think this journey has taught him 'responsibility'.

No comments: