30.4.08

29 April

Today is 'hao hao nan ren' birthday.

With no in-laws or out-laws or helper around, hubby and I couldn't go out for a birthday dinner. Something which we would do back in Singapore. So...thank God for all the help you have in Singapore.

In fact, over here, everything would be DIY. Most people just repair their own things. Even for mothers. There were no maid or helper. When I fetched Ann to school, it was not uncommon to see mothers with 1 or 2 other younger siblings, bringing the elder one to school. Back in Singapore, it would have been the maid doing all these chores.

Thankfully, we never have a maid, only mum who lived downstairs helped out. On special occasions, she would come up and stay with the kids so hubby and I could slipped out to have a special meal. So this kind of helped alot when we came to the US, even with no helper, we could still handle.

In fact, many times, I found myself multi-tasking. Putting the fish in the steamer then ironing clothes, giving Kai his work then chopping up the vegetables, meat......

For this special day, I got my fan, also my capable assistant to help me whip up something special.


Isn't she great!


Made this special coconut cake, 'hao hao nan ren's' favourite. Made use of King Arthur Flour supposedly to be the best here


Lo-mai-kai, another of his favourite. They have glutinous rice here but what's missing - our Chinese sausage


What is birthday without pictures taken! Here's one

3 comments:

ICook4Fun said...

Hi, this is Gertrude. Glad that you are settling in very well here in PA. Best wishes to you.

Yuri said...

hello honeylemon, dropping by to say hi; visiting you via KC. good looking bakes and cooking u have there.

Gina Choong said...

Shirley
I missed having you to talk to over the phone! :( When I remembered you wrote at KC to say when you are flying there, I knew I had to temporary delete ur number from my mobile list. But in my heart, my mind, my prayers are still said for you. And God will bless you, keep you and the whole family safe, in a country far far away. Love..Gina